Sunday, October 07, 2007

The Breadwinner

Recommendations come at a highly profound cost. Seeing as everyone has a certain view of the world and how everything goes about it. Recommending a book with true emotion and depth is everything a person needs to relish themselves into, and that is exactly what I'm
doing.

The Breadwinner caught me from the first moment I read it. This book follows the life of Parvana, a young girl living in Afghanistan during it's Taliban rein and the difficulties that the ever increasing war has brought upon her. Her family care about and love her, but one Taliban abduction left her life torn and shattered in a way that no teenage girl would ever imagine. Her father.
Between the time that it took for the family to hit realisation, and the time it took them to understand, they had already fallen into the state of poverty. Minutes seemed like hours, and hours seemed like days.
But as time ran out for hope and wishes, someone had to do something. Parvana, with a heart of stone and a mind of matter, had to be the one to lift her life up.
With extreme circumstances and a brave heart, Parvana soon realised that life was for living, and she was never going to give it up.
Losing the life you had before was never going to be easy, but;
Dressed as a boy in the market, I soon found out that I was not watching the life of this poor young girl, I was her.
Parvana is the breadwinner in the market.
And The Breadwinner is a truely amazing insight into what happens in places of war and anguish.

Capturing the life of an eleven year old girl, Deborah Ellis is one author that I have to say, may wonder into a topic which none other has tried to explore before. The minds of children and young adults are hard to capture and maintain, but Deborah achieves this with no extra help or power. The trilogy carries on, and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to carry on reading. Since reading this in year six, I have always been aware that someone out there is always less better off than I am, and I can not recommend it enough.

No comments: