Saturday, October 14, 2006

Poems of the Week: 'Education for Leisure' by Carol Ann Duffy and 'The Hitcher' by Simon Armitage


These two poems were in the old AQA GCSE anthology which we don't study any more; but they are certainly worth having a look at anyway: two different reflections on the theme of VIOLENCE - and its cause and effect. Click HERE for a powerpoint presentation on the two poems, if you're interested.

Education for Leisure

Today I am going to kill something. Anything.
I have had enough of being ignored and today
I am going to play God. It is an ordinary day,
a sort of grey with boredom stirring in the streets.

I squash a fly against the window with my thumb.
We did that at school. Shakespeare. It was in
another language and now the fly is in another language.
I breathe out talent on the glass to write my name.

I am a genius. I could be anything at all, with half
the chance. But today I am going to change the world.
Something’s world. The cat avoids me. The cat
knows I am a genius, and has hidden itself.

I pour the goldfish down the bog. I pull the chain.
I see that it is good. The budgie is panicking.
Once a fortnight, I walk the two miles into town
for signing on. They don’t appreciate my autograph.

There is nothing left to kill. I dial the radio
and tell the man he’s talking to a superstar.

He cuts me off. I get our bread-knife and go out.

The pavements glitter suddenly. I touch your arm.


The Hitcher

I'd been tired, under
the weather, but the ansaphone kept screaming:
One more sick note, mister, and you're finished. Fired.
I thumbed a lift to where the car was parked.
A Vauxhall Astra. It was hired.

I picked him up in Leeds.
He was following the sun to west from east
with just a toothbrush and the good earth for a bed. The truth,
he said, was blowin' in the wind,
or round the next bend.

I let him have it
on the top road out of Harrogate-once
with the head, then six times with the krooklok
in the face-and didn't even swerve.
I dropped it into third

and leant across
to let him out, and saw him in the mirror
bouncing off the kerb, then disappearing down the verge.
We were the same age, give or take a week.
He said he like the breeze

to run it's fingers
through his hair. It was twelve noon.
The outlook for the day was moderate to fair.
Stitch that, I remember thinking,
you can walk from there.


1 comment:

Punk-Rock-Princess said...

sounds more like a phyco than a genius. She/he sounds crazy