Saturday, March 03, 2007

Recommended Reading: The Bird Artist

"My name is Fabian Vas. I live in Witless Bay, Newfoundland. You would not have beard of me. Obscurity is not necessarily failure, though; I am a bird artist, and have more or less made a living at it. Yet I murdered the lighthouse keeper, Botho August, and that is an equal part of how I think of myself."

Continuing the INTERNATIONAL WEEK theme, this week I am recommending an amazing piece of CANADIAN fiction from the 1990s. The Bird Artist by Howard Norman. Many of you will have studied an extract from this novel with me in Year 8 - in which Fabian Vas enacts the brutal murder of his mother's new lover, Botho August. But how many of you then went on to read the whole book?

Like what you read above? Click here to read more of the first chapter.

If you do decide to read the whole book, why not use this reading guide whilst you do so.

No comments: